Charles H. Bowker House
3 Harvard Place
The Charles H. Bowker House is a wonderful example of High Victorian Gothic architecture. Its location on a steep hill makes it a local landmark, highly visible from many parts of the city. First occupied in 1874 by local industrialist Charles Bowker, this red brick structure has black brick banding, cast iron cresting, a corner turret, and a steeply pitched, slate roof. After fire damaged the roof and interior, plans for repair were never completed. The original windows were replaced before 1977, when the building was used as office space. The house was included on Preservation Worcester’s Most Endangered Structures List in 2005, 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2016.
The realty trust that owns the building has paid current taxes on the property, but has not completed the promised repairs.