Deacon David Richards House
5 Richards Street
The Deacon David Richards House, now located at 5 Richards Street across from the former South High School, is believed to date from 1780 and to have originally occupied the northeast corner of Main and Richards Streets. As such, it is one of the very oldest examples of Federalist architecture in the City. The house features a pedimented entry with a five pane top light, symmetrical center entrance facade and twin chimneys.
The Richards family transferred the property to the Gates family, who developed this section of Worcester. Later, the Schofield family, whose most prominent member is Schofield Thayer, the Modernist editor and art collector, owned the home.
Today, the building stands empty after a fire and is owned by U.S. Bank, NA. Its architecture, age, location and history make it important that it be recognized and restored.
This is the house’s second appearance on the Endangered Structure’s List.