Frank Ruggles House
27 Tirrell Street
The large, multi-family building at 27 Tirrell Street is in the Queen Anne style. Built circa 1896, it features an octagon turret and octagon single story front entrance which is a rarely used form. It has a gambrel roof and brick foundation. The front roof features a hip roof dormer. Fenestration includes Queen Anne sash and a large Palladian window.
This structure was built as a single family residence for the Frank Ruggles family. Frank Ruggles was likely a descendant of Draper Ruggles who was associated with the firm of Ruggles, Nourse & Mason in the mid-1800’s. This firm manufactured cast iron plows and other agricultural equipment and was one of the largest manufacturers of this type in Worcester at a time when the City led the nation in this field. In 1902, an E. C. Harrington bought the property and later in the 1900’s the Ames family were the owners.
While Tirrell St. is blessed with a number of beautiful homes from this era, this striking and unusual structure has been sided, had its first floor porch enclosed, and slate roof replaced with asphalt shingles. Within the last year it apparently suffered a fire and is now boarded up and a blight on the neighborhood which is located in the Main South area.