61 Harvard Street
The Greek Revival/Neo-Classical style Salisbury House is one of the most significant buildings in Worcester, both architecturally and historically. Completed in 1838 for Stephen Salisbury II on plans by noted master builder, Elias Carter, this two-and-a-half-story, wood frame, hip-roofed dwelling is an imposing presence on Highland Street. It stands near the Georgian style Salisbury Mansion,
The Salisbury House, together with its neighbors, the 1772 Georgian style Salisbury Mansion (now a house museum) and the former Salisbury Store, is associated with the wealthy Salisbury family, which played an outstanding role in the life and development of the city from the 18th century through the early-20th century.
Carefully maintained in the past, when occupied by the Worcester Art Museum and later by the American Red Cross, the building, now under private ownership, currently suffers from deferred maintenance. The visual impact and historical character of this precinct of outstanding buildings is further diminished by the presence of a large municipal parking lot in their midst.
Both the architectural and historical significance of the Salisbury Mansion, and that of its outstanding neighbors, demand that it receive greater recognition of its outstanding role in the architecture and history of the city as well as the kind of care and attention that it deserves. The property appeared Preservation Worcester’s Most Endangered Structures List in 2012, 2014, 2017, 2018, and 2019.